Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Lainey Wynn Lowery


All is well that ends well... that is the best way I can describe the roller coaster known as last week.


Monday 9:10 am, Clint and I arrive at the doctor's office. I am 40 weeks to the day and they wanted to do an ultrasound to check the babies progress and see how big she was. As soon as the doctor came in he said, man.... that is one big baby (that isn't an exact quote... this included an expletive). He said she was measuring about 9 lbs and he was worried that if she got any bigger I would not be able to deliver her. So he told us to go and check in the hospital early that afternoon and they would begin inducing labor. (I wasn't dilated at all at this point.) So Clint and I left quite excited knowing that the next day our little girl would arrive. Around 5 they gave me medicine to make me start to dilate. It also made me start to have contractions about every 2 minutes, so much so that they couldn't give me the other 2 doses of medicine that they were supposed to.


That night I began hurting pretty bad. Then they gave me something for the pain. Before it was even completely in my IV I was out. I got a good preview of what I would have been like drunk or high, and it was not pretty.


5 am the next morning they began the pit drip. Contractions still 2 min apart but now much stronger. By 7 am they broke my water. 10:30... time for my epidural... ok... at this points I comment to all those who praise the epidural... I am sure they are wonderful... if they work. 2 people came in to give it to me... turns out one of them was just "learning the ropes" the guy behind her was talking her through the whole thing. I am pretty sure she hit bone at one point. Finally the guy behind her gives it a go. He stuck me 2 times... then finally relief... that lasted an hour.

About an hour later I noticed a whole lot a feeling back in one side and felt my back was really wet. I had mom and clint look at it... my whole back, bed, everything was soaked with this yellow stuff and blood. We showed it to the nurse and told her about the feeling coming back. She had me turn on my side and then said the epidural just needed retaping. So more tape on my back and laying on my side... still in pain... this is all about noon.

Finally around 5 they realize hey... I don't think this is working right. (duh) maybe we should get another anesthesiologist in there to look at it. So, the next lady comes in, she says that it is in the wrong place and they are going to have to redo it... again... Clint is pretty mad at this point. I am pretty tired and still contracting pretty much constantly cause they keep upping my drip cause I am not dilating like they want me to. So, one more epidural. This one works about an hour and a half... then wears off faster than the first one did... by the way... my back is still leaking. (Why were me and Clint the only ones in the room really concerned about that?)

Ok... now... my little nurse (who was really sweet) kept checking me throughout the day and said around 6 I am 8cm dilated, then an hour later the doc came in (not mine cause he had to leave because his house got struck by lightening... that is a whole other story) anyway, new doctor checks me and says... you aren't close to 8... it is more like 4-5... we are going to up the drip again, and then reassess later. Anyway... around 11:30 I had pretty much stalled out at 7 cm. So time for a c-section.

Since my epidural wore off (again) they had one chance at a spinal block. If that worked then Clint could be in the room. If it didn't then they would have to put me out, and he wouldn't get to be in there. I have to say, at this point I wasn't too thrilled about another needle in my back, but I would much rather him be in there and me be awake than be asleep. Thankfully that one worked. On to the delivery room.

Dr. Phillips (who is now one of my favorite people) performed the c-section. He came in and began praying for the procedure he was about to start. When he finished he turned to Clint and said... this is the way it was supposed to be, God will take care of it.

Within 15 minutes she was out and doing well. The doctor said after he delivered her that it was a good thing they went ahead with the c-section because neither of us would have been able to survive a vaginal birth. (She was too big to come out of me) Praise God for taking care of us both.



So, after 36 hours... Lainey Wynn Lowery made her official entrance into the world. She was born at 12:27 July 30th. She weighed 8 lbs 10 oz. and was 21 inches long.


We ended up having to spend a little extra time in the hospital because Wynn became jaundiced. We were released from the hospital Sunday at 4. I have never been so happy to be home in my entire life. Tomorrow we go to the pediatrician to check on the jaundice so keep her in your prayers.

14 comments:

Dana said...

Glad you made it home! She's beautiful and you look great! I don't know when we'll get to see ya'll again but I can't wait. I love you!

Lerra said...

Even though I knew the story, it exhausts me to read about it! I'm so glad y'all are ok. Wynn is a beautiful little girl! And that last pic of you with her is so good!!

Hilary said...

Oh, Jan! Wynn is so beautiful! I'm in love!! I'm glad everything worked out well in the end, rough times though. This whole birthing/mother deal isn't looking as rosey as it used too. Oh well, it's not like there's a choice now. Just kidding. As Dr. Phillips said the Lord will take care of it (and us) all. Love you!!

Tony and Susan said...

wow! crazy! sounds like quite an experience. glad you all made it through ok and that you are home! congratulations! isn't being a mommy more AWESOME than you even imagined!?!?!?

and i weighed 8 pounds 10 ounces when i was born, too :)

Papakeith said...

Your mother and I have been bless with great children and their spouces. We are truely bless beyond our wildess dreams with our children's children. You and Clint and Wynn remain in our prayers. God has given you his child to raise. I love Wynn as much as I love her mother! (Nana is still my #1.) Wynn is a doll take care.

We love you all, Papa

Kiera said...

My goodness Jan. Bless your heart! I hate that was such a crazy couple of days, but I'm glad you are now home and have a beautiful precious little girl! Keep the pictures coming!

Stephanie said...

Thad might have punched someone in the face by the time the guy tried the second time to get the epidural in, especially if my back was leaking. But it is great to know that through all of that God was just looking out for you both! I'm so happy and excited for you. Maybe I can come stay with Britt one weekend to see you. I've got about 100 days to go + or - a few=)

Unknown said...

Congrats Jan! She is precious! I hate the birthing experience wasn't easy for you but I'm sure having the baby home in your arms made it all worthwhile. Enjoy every little thing...they're one before you know it!

Jamie said...

She is beautiful. Glad all is well. Wes and Chase were induced and jaundiced. It gets easier. Wes was a difficult experience, Chase was just a few pain free hours from start to finish! Love every minute - you'll blink and she'll be grown.

Abbie said...

Bless your heart! We can be in the "Big Baby Club" together. Lily was 8 10.5 & 21. I was narrowly able to skip the C but only with the help of the greatest invention ever. The vacuum! At least it was my best friend that afternoon. I was only in labor for 14 hours so your have me beat there. I also had an epidural that didn't last until it was supposed to. And the redose never did work. I was so traumatized that it took me a few days to talk about it. But I am totally over it now and someday (not anytime soon!) I will do it again. Little girls are so much fun. I can't wait to see her.

Abbie said...

P.S. Read my blog about saving your pictures somewhere besides just on your computer!

becky said...

what a beautiful angel girl!! i hate that you had such a nasty little experience. if you choose c-section the next go around, it is muuuuuuuuuuch easier. (i've had 3...trust me.) and actually my last spinal was the best, easiest ever. he was actually a student. and i knew it. i told them to give him an A+. how's the jaundice? back to normal i presume!

Unknown said...

We need new pictures.. Don't make me come back over there..:)


Love you

Jonesy Thompson said...

Congrats, Jan!!! She's so beautiful! During labor, I got stuck at 8cm with my big boy. But I thankfully didn't have to endure all the same complications. Dr. Phillips was my dr. in Montgomery, so I know you were in great hands. I've been praying for your housing situation. Love ya!